Shopify is one such platform and is loved by many for it’s beautiful, responsive designs, it’s large application and theme marketplace and ease of use. This platform allows anyone to have a fully functioning eCommerce website up and running in less than 24 hours.
Why Shopify is Great:
- Theme marketplace – pick from a free theme or pay for a premium theme. The free themes will work in the beginning but when upgrading, I recommend themes built by Out of the Sandbox.
- App marketplace – apps that give your site extra powers such as shipping automation, SEO optimization, Fraud protection, email marketing, ad placement, etc. Better yet, there is a multitude of free apps to get you started.
- Ease of Use – the dashboard is very user friendly, configured properly and easy to navigate. Add products, set shipping rates, set taxes, customize your theme, process orders, etc.
- Clean and Responsive Design – All Shopify themes are responsive meaning they work on all screens and devices. This is pretty much industry standard now but it’s worth noting all the same.
- Built In Payment Gateway – With a couple simple steps in the Shopify dashboard you can accept all major credit cards, PayPal, ApplePay, AmazonPayments and more.
- Editable HTML/CSS – This is only important if you know HTML and CSS. If you do, it allows you to customize to your hearts content. This is useful for taking a pre-built theme and modifying it so that it’s unique and fits your store’s vision.
5 Step Guide on How to Build a Shopify Website:
- Sign up for Shopify:
- They offer a 14-day free trial and no credit card is needed to sign up.
- Start Customizing:
- Go to Online Store > Themes. From here click the “Visit Theme Store” in the upper right and select a free theme that you like and upload and activate it.
- Go back to Online Store > Themes. Click the button that says “Customize Theme”. Alter text, colors, fonts, settings and more and see the changes live in your browser as you make them.
- Setup your Settings:
- Click the gear in the button left and start with the “General” Tab. Starting filling in all the necessary information and then move to the next tab. Don’t worry if you can’t fill everything in! Fill in what you can.
- Activate your Payment Gateway:
- In settings, click the “Payments” tab.
- Under Accept Payments > Shopify Payments click “Edit”.
- Enter your necessary information and Click “Save”.
- Done! You now can accept payments from all major credit cards and gateways.
- Add a Product:
- Go to the “Products” tab.
- Click the “Add Product” button in the top right.
- Add a title, description, image and price.
- Click “Save”
And there you have it. In 5 easy steps you have a fully functioning eCommerce website that is ready to sell and take payments.
This is all great but what do I sell?
Selecting products to sell is daunting for a lot of people. For whatever reason, people second guess and always come up with a reason why a niche won’t work and not why a niche WILL work. Well, don’t worry, I’m here to help. Here is a list of 187 profitable proven niches to get you going. Sign up below and we’ll send you the link immediately.